Thursday, April 5, 2012

Apr | 05 | The Green Cross Code

Key Word:- CONSIDER


Title:- The Green Cross Code

Psalm 81:13a “Oh, that My people would listen to Me,

It’s one of my favourite movies, starring Bill Murray, and it’s called Groundhog day! For those of you who have not seen the film, it is essentially about a man that is trapped in the same day as it incessantly repeats itself, until the arrogant selfish pig of a man that he is, over all the consequent time and trials, turns into a selfless and gentle man, learning how to truly love. It’s quite brilliant!

One definition of insanity is ‘repeating the same thing and getting the same negative results over and over again.’ I have come to wonder if God deals in insanity? Or rather, in that insane sanctification method of allowable and endless repetition, until we get it right, until the light goes on and we make different choices?

I say this because, too often I have found myself in ‘that old place again,’ you know, looking around with a dreadful familiarity and saying “I have been here before! I have had this same thing happen before, what’s happening here? This is insane!” How about you? Have you been there? Are you there right now?

When I was a youngster, the rising accident rate of small children being struck by cars when they crossed the road, caused the then government, to institute a road safety policy for children called ‘The Green Cross Code’. This was a national campaign in schools, and especially on television and through it, children were armed with but three little watch-words to remember when trying to cross the road:- ‘Stop. Look. Listen!’ Maybe if we find ourselves once again at some dangerous and unnervingly familiar crossroads, maybe we too should do just that. You know? ‘Stop! Look! Listen!'
Stop repeating what we have done before. It didn’t work then, it’s not going to work now! Stop the incessant insanity!

Look at the circumstances, the type of people we attracted to us, the way we played the game maybe. Look inside and examine our true drives and motivations. Look at what we consistently contributed to our journey to bring us here once again. Look at the continuing madness!

Take time. Withdraw with God. Listen to what you really want. Listen to what He really wants for you. It’s the best, it really is. So Listen!

So, if you are in that old place again, that unnerving and all too familiar crossroad, then maybe this time you should indeed, STOP, LOOK and LISTEN!

Listen:I will instruct you and teach you in the way you should go; I will guide you with My eye. Psalm 32:8

Pray:- Lord! Teach me, and please Oh please, deliver me from my repetetive insanity. In Jesus name I pray, Amen!



No comments: