Saturday, December 8, 2012

Dec | 08 | Oh Me, Oh Life

Dream Word – CONSIDER

Romans 8:28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. NKJV

“Oh Me, Oh Life”

This of course is my least favorite of Bible Verses. All the difficulties of life and death, from kids to cancer, from marriage to murder, from want to plenty, yes, all and everything is included in the ‘all things' that seemingly work together for our good! I have to tell you that I do not like that one bit.

I would much prefer a clear delineation of those things which are blessed to me, and those things which are cursed to me. Romans 8:28 however, allows no such delineation and consequent avoidance for the child of God, but in undaunting forcefulness, screams and stands steadfast against all the storms of this life’s journey of ours in its statement of utter confidence, that yes indeed, “all things work together for our good”. The stunning encapsulation of God’s utter Sovereignty that this statement makes, still troubles me rather than comforts me tonight, because this verse above all other verses, clearly demands that I trust Him in “all things” and in the so doing, questions my personal ability to trust God and thank Him in “all things”. Now, if you think that is an easy task for the Christian, if you think that this is not the greatest work of faith in our lives to trust “God in all things”, then my friend, you are a youngster in both the things of God and this world, yes, you are still wet behind the ears! This verse demands the exhibiiton of the greatest of faith.

As I reflect on our recent evening meditations since the beginning of December, I nevertheless have to agree with the real life and intricate applications of Romans 8:28. I have to stand amazed at its ability to reveal itself as enticing and even demanding great acts of faith, all alive in verdant veracity, even through the crowding complexities of terror and torture, of want and war as they manifest themselves across both space and time. As I reflect on this month’s meditations it is evident that many people contributed a link in the chain of the ever-unfolding goodness of God towards the people of this world, thus working all things together for good!

I don’t know about you, but when I consider these things and my place in the universe as intertwined with both the first and last Adam, with both sinners and saved, with both the carnal and the Christ, I am overwhelmed and struggle to find a little solid ground to stand on. It is truly amazing that God can and does work “all things” for our good. Truly, truly amazing!

It is that quirky and ever so slightly strange, Walt Whitman, that might aid us in finding some solid ground to view this great and demanding verse of Romans 8:28 and maybe engage it, just a little, in it’s overwhelming complexities……

O me! O life!... of the questions of these recurring;
Of the endless trains of the faithless--of cities fill'd with the foolish;
Of myself forever reproaching myself,
(for who more foolish than I, and who more faithless?)
Of eyes that vainly crave the light--of the objects mean--of the struggle ever renew'd;
Of the poor results of all--of the plodding and sordid crowds I see around me;
Of the empty and useless years of the rest--with the rest me intertwined;
The question, O me! so sad, recurring--What good amid these, O me, O life?

Answer.

That you are here--that life exists, and identity;
That the powerful play goes on, and you will contribute a verse


Tomorrow then O poet of God, for all true Christians are the truest of poets, you too will have the opportunity to contribute a verse to this never-ending symphony regarding the goodness of God toward us in Christ Jesus. Watch with wonder then friends, listen in awe and consider very carefully just what and how you might write a verse in the book of the goodness of God. As we with consecrated pen, then so carefully write, even so circumspectly walk and examine our ways, then maybe we pilgrims might begin to possess to ourselves, some of the vast peace, which the knowledge of God’s goodness toward us by actually working His goodness through “all things”. What peace this could truly bring to our hearts? Believing this and then confidently living in this assurance, is most assuredly an act of the greatest of faith. BE THAT PERSON OF GREAT FAITH TONIGHT. FOR ALL THINGS WORK TOGETHER FOR YOUR GOOD, OH CHILD OF THE MOST HIGH GOD.

Listen: - And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose. Romans 8:28 NKJV 

Pray: - Lord, Your vastness, Your great goodness worked out in the times and lives of men and women, scares me, worries me, perturbs me, confuses me. Oh my God, I ask that Your goodness would become comfort to my heart and steadiness to my sailing soul in the year to come, in Jesus name I ask for it to be done, amen and amen!

1 comment:

Zoe Brain said...

I should come here to your blog more often.

You have a hard job, but do it conscientiously, and to the best of human ability.

Maybe... that's what we all have to do?

Anyway, a merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you and yours.