Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Dec | 11 | The Reluctant Dragon

Key Word:- CHANGE

Title:- The Reluctant Dragon

Isaiah 30:7 
For the Egyptians shall help in vain and to no purpose. Therefore I have called her Rahab-Hem-Shebeth. …...

Certainly in England, my country of origin, we have some most unusual names. I lived down the road for example from 'Pease Pottage', which literally means 'Pea Soup or Broth.' A number of local tales explain why it might be called this, but no one really knows. Most of the other unusual English names are rooted in Anglo Saxon usage and so just might sound a little silly today. America however, is unsurpassable for amusing nomenclature. How about these for a few: The Proctologist called ‘Dr Butt’, the Dentist Called ‘Dr Payne’, the town in Florida called, ‘Two Egg!’ Or how about these other names: ‘Dudley Boobus,’ ‘Bertha Clapsaddle’ and of course ‘Shanda Lear!’ Yes indeed, these are funny but I want you to know that names in the Scriptures as well as encapsulating promises, are also prophetic and instructive. Yes, names encapsulating promises like: “No longer shall your name be called Abram, but your name shall be Abraham; for I have made you a father of many nations.” (Genesis 17:5-6)  Names encapsulating the prophetic like: “Therefore the Lord Himself will give you a sign: Behold, the virgin shall conceive and bear a Son, and shall call His name Immanuel.” (Isaiah 7:14)  Both these names are instructive like today's verse. Here's the scene: Israel is in a mess and again, like a silly dove, is flitting to and fro to her human allies for solace and support and today, it is Egypt that appears to be Israel’s source of protection. Egypt the strong, Egypt the mighty, Egypt the powerful!God comes to that same flitting dove of Israel and says, “you lot are rebellious kids, just heaping up sin after sin. Yes, you're taking counsel alright but not from Me! You've not asked my advice, Oh no! You're happier sitting in the seemingly strong shadow of Egypt, strengthening yourself in that over confident, pompous prig of a Pharaoh; the same type of nation and geezer that tried to annihilate you! Have you forgotten that I delivered you from such people? It's just not on,” says the Lord, “I'm gonna see to it that they let you down, so listen up. I am now calling Egypt, 'Rahab-Hem-Shebeth'. There, stick that in yer pipe and smoke it. Write it down and DON'T forget it 'Rahab-Hem-Shebeth!!”
The actual meaning of this name is 'Rahab who sits still', or 'the strong one who sits still,' or as the Living Bible so wonderfully translates it, 'THE RELUCTANT DRAGON.'

Now listen friends and listen closely. For we redeemed people are strange birds, whose natural homing device will always take us back to those crowds, peeps, lights, actions, habits, devices and ways, which though they were part of the whole package of our former enslavement, never the less, gave us some kind of belonging, some kind of familiarity and some kind of comfort. Yes, sometimes the chains of Egypt stretch a long way through space and time don't they friends?

God says "NO! Don't go back, don't rely on past experiences, and don't think your continued redemption, protection and provision lies in some proud peacock." I tell you, God may be angry at us for this regression but it is because He is jealous. He is a jealous God! He has loved us with an everlasting love and shall not share us with another. “Want to try it?” says the Lord. “Want to trust in deceiving dragons and proud peacocks? They shall fail you. I shall see to it that they do!”

So today, dear fleeing friend, maybe on your way back to Egypt, let me ask you, “Why are you going back to vain and purposeless lifestyles? Why are you going back to bondage and death?” Maybe, if I were to give you just 1000 lines of instructive discipline for you to write down, it just might open your eyes and turn you back to the land of promise. Are you ready?”

“Rahab-Hem-Shebeth. I am trusting in reluctant dragons!”
“Rahab-Hem-Shebeth. I am trusting in reluctant dragons!”
“Rahab-Hem-Shebeth. I am trusting in reluctant dragons!”


Listen:- “Now, therefore,” says the LORD, “Turn to Me with all your heart, With fasting, with weeping, and with mourning.” So rend your heart, and not your garments; Return to the LORD your God, For He is gracious and merciful, Slow to anger, and of great kindness; And He relents from doing harm. Joel 2:12-13

Pray: - Jesus! Help me please. I am sorry for being like a dog going back to its vomit, a pig going back to its pen. I am so sorry. Now Father, let Your homing beacon come alive in me and turn my heart, my mind and my steps back home, home to Thee, in Jesus name I pray, amen.

 

No comments: