Monday, September 24, 2012

Sep | 24 | Seeing Songs

Key Word:- OBEY

Title:- Seeing Songs

Psalm 40:3 He has put a new song in my mouth — Praise to our God; Many will see it and fear, And will trust in the LORD.

I seem to be one of those people who lately, cannot carry a tune in a bucket! Violence to vocal chords has limited my range of expression considerably. Never the less, the God of the Bible still encourages even me to sing!

I am reminded that The Scriptures speak not once of old songs, but consistently of new ones. You see, there seems to be a freshness of expression that should be expected with each new generation, even with each new Christian. I wonder if everyday we should all be singing skillfully, new songs that contain shouts of joy?

Have you noticed that many songs have a 'sell by' date. That's ok, but the problem is when we insist on parcelling the 'well overdue and well overdone' up in books and laying them out before our congregations and insisting they then turn to page 'so and so' and then drone on and on, whilst drowning in old froth, well, it is then that the once new songs become simply old hat.It seems to me that worship should find a new voice, and yes indeed, a new expression in each new generation and in each new Christian.

Now let me really scare all our English readers of a certain age by saying that these new songs are animated. No, not the 'Our God is so big, so strong and so mighty' or ‘If I were a Billy Goat’, silly animations for the over 40’s and early demented kind of songs, no, these are spirit animated songs. Let me explain.

The New Songs, the living water springing up in our heart, welling up into praise, will both activate us and animate us. 'Big Daddy Brubeck' got it right, for truly 'There is Rhythm in Life!' Oh when we worship, we might raise our hands, we might even close our eyes and some of us might even get down and get with it, but it's not that which the Scripture is talking about. Not really.

It's about how the new song, like a great river is eroding all the old banks of long set feelings, habits and previous passions and replacing, changing and improving our inner landscape. So much so, that the outward cloth laid over us, is also fluctuating and morphing into new and winsome shapes, for you see friend, that cloth laid over our inner landscape is weaved into our countenance, our hands, our feet, our eyes, our actions, our relationships, our giving, our attitude, our fashion, our vision, our decision, our mission, and most especially, our mouth. Think about this though. All I have mentioned is in fact 'our mouth', for this new song is a song that is SEEN RATHER THAN HEARD! He has put a new song in my mouth — Praise to our God; Many will see it and fear, for sweet charity always brings the real rhythm of life.

Listen:- Then Moses and the children of Israel sang this song to the LORD, and spoke, saying: “I will sing to the LORD, For He has triumphed gloriously! The horse and its rider He has thrown into the sea! The LORD is my strength and song, And He has become my salvation; He is my God, and I will praise Him; My father's God, and I will exalt Him. The LORD is a man of war; The LORD is His name. Exodus 15:1-3

Pray:- Lord as you re-lay in me, the foundations of your world, let me hear the singing sons of the morning raise such shouts of praise, that they will shake the heavens once more. Amen.

 

No comments: