Sunday, October 7, 2012

Oct | 07 | Seeing and Sailing

Dream Word – DESTINY

Numbers 11:29,30
Then Moses said to him, "Are you zealous for my sake? Oh, that all the Lord's people were prophets and that the Lord would put His Spirit upon them!" NKJV

Seeing and Sailing

Just so you don’t think last night’s meditation was a call to simply “Eat drink and be merry for tomorrow we die,” tonight, I want to unfold to you the incredible power we have over the future! Yes, we are under the curse of the fall of man, yes we shall die and yes, we shall have little choice in the manner of our departure but maybe, just maybe, we shall have some? I wonder if in the parameters of life and death, that we do in fact have some choice in our future? Let me unpack this by beginning a long time ago in my high school years, in fact, in the type of school now long since gone, that did my nation good; a ‘Grammar School.’

I was never a good student. My main problem was in fact two-fold. Firstly, I honestly did not have a clue about how to study and secondly, I had no motivation whatsoever to do so! Indeed, one of my school reports remarked something along the lines that “I was content to let things come” and that I “Had an overly optimistic viewpoint regarding my future.” Both of these observations were wrong of course. The fact is that I was a slave to the future, the fact is that I had no idea whatsoever that from a human perspective, I had the power in my own hands to manipulate my future. Yes, I had the capacity to inculcate change into my time-line, yes, I had the means to somewhat set the agenda for my life and to become the hero in my own story, but I didn’t really understand that! There is no twist here friend! There is no bait and switch in words, nope, what I am telling you is absolutely true. You have power over your future. Imagine that!


In 2007, Nicolas Cage starred in a film called ‘Next,’ the story of a man who could see two minutes into his own future, whose gifting was then hunted, captured and later utilized to save the world. Same old, same old really, yet the tag line and the bookend statement made by the main character at the beginning and end of the film really captivated my attention. The tag line for the film called 'Next' is “If you can see the future, you can save it,” and the film’s bookend statement goes like this: “Here’s the thing about the future. Every time you look at it, it changes, because you looked at it! And that, changes everything else.”

Some of us are ignorant of this capacity to form our future. Some of us are fearful of this capacity to form our future, not wanting to foil God’s plans. As if! Conversely, for those aware of this capacity, some of them are ‘fed up’ in forming their own future because it has been so costly, so exhausting and so disappointing in the trying. So fed up in fact, that they allow the winds of time to take them where ever they desire. Lastly there are those of us who are forgetful regarding this power to form our future, because we have been locked into someone else’s future, have been made passive, made timid, made tame, made lame, never to be the same, again…….

Yet, the desire of Moses the man of God was that all of God’s people might be prophets, might be seers if you will. Indeed, I want to say this tonight, that God does not wish it, but rather demands that you become a seer in your own life! Tonight, I do not call you to become the master of your own ship, but I do call you to become the master of your own ship under the command of the Great First Sea Lord, Christ Jesus Himself! Subject to Him, serving Him and under His sailing orders, yes, but you, you, you SEEING and you SAILING!

Enough of this cowardly, forgetful, fearful and passive approach to the future of your own dear life. Tonight, dream about your tomorrows. Dream BIG! Then, each day forward, in all righteousness, see the good future you have and make some course changes to so reach it!

“Bridge to helm! Right full rudder!”

Listen: - I call heaven and earth as witnesses today against you, that I have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing; therefore choose life, that both you and your descendants may live; Deuteronomy 30:19-20 NKJV

Pray: Yes Lord, give me strength to lengthen the scope of my looking glass, and strength to man my sails and stay my course. I am under Your sailing orders O Lord and I am sailing. Amen.

No comments: