Thursday, October 11, 2012

Oct | 11 | Dangerous Dowries

Key Word:- COURAGE

Title:- Dangerous Dowries

Judges 1:12-15 Then Caleb said, “Whoever attacks Kirjath Sepher and takes it, to him I will give my daughter Achsah as wife.” And Othniel the son of Kenaz, Caleb's younger brother, took it; so he gave him his daughter Achsah as wife. Now it happened, when she came to him, that she urged him to ask her father for a field. And she dismounted from her donkey, and Caleb said to her, “What do you wish?” So she said to him, “Give me a blessing; since you have given me land in the South, give me also springs of water.” And Caleb gave her the upper springs and the lower springs.

It is an old saying, usually said with a glinting eye to many a disappointed suitor, “Faint Heart never won fair lady.” The message is simple; courage and perseverance are the only things that will save the day, make the day, even the wedding day!

Caleb, that old warrior, that amazing mountain charger, that rheumatoid remnant of a bygone age, once again reveals those things to us that only the eyes of faith can see. I am talking of hearts here and I am talking of capacities.

Now before we castigate his gambling fatherliness, that would appear to be willing to give his beloved over to the first ‘pug ugly’ vicious, violent and blood thirsty, life gambler that comes along intent on slaughtering a few Philistines before lunch time, let me tell you that this man knew his daughter. She was of the same stock and breed as this mighty warrior. She was a woman of daring courage, that would have to have a man equal, or near enough, to the conquering capacity of her own heart for it to be a happy match. Hence the dangerous dowry. For Caleb's daughter was the finest reward, the most handsome of prizes that would not sit neatly or quietly in any Israelite tent. Her father’s bold and courageous example had made certain of that. Achsah needed the right kind of husband and Caleb knew it!

Othniel shows courage in attacking Kirjath Sepher. He shows perseverance in being able to take it! With these two things, Othniel indeed wins his fair maiden. However, in our story for today, it would appear that Othniel's courage then failed! Yes, the man who faced a thousand Philistines seemed now to draw back at the simple request of his new bride. In effect she says, ‘My father has been good to us. He has given me land in the south. However Othniel, it’s lacking. Go to him and ask him for more. Ask him for better.”

I am assuming that brave Othniel, baulked at this, maybe replying to Achsah, "Me ask your Dad for more? You're joking. Right? You're kidding me? Surely? I say this, because the text tells us that it was this Achsah, this little ‘Ankle Bracelet’, for that is what her name means, that in the end got off her ass and approached her already generous father with this seemingly outrageous request. Her father Caleb in response of course gave her even more, much, much more than she asked for!

Read the first few chapters of the Revelation of Jesus Christ and you will see Jesus offering the same kind of dangerous dowries, “To those who over come, to those who persevere etc.’.....I will give.” Jesus calls us to enormous feats of courage and perseverance that will lead us to even greater reward. Remember this though, it was the simple yet bold request of ‘little ankle bracelet’ that made their inheritance sweet and easy. Great things are gained through fighting. Greater are gained by asking. Are you asking for greater things?

Listen:- Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, 21 to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen. Ephesians 3:20-21

Pray: - I pray today for the Courage of Othniel and the boldness of Achsah. Give me this mountain O Lord, then with it, give me good, give me better, give me best. In Jesus name I pray, amen.

No comments: