Thursday, March 8, 2012

Mar | 08 | Don't Lose The Fun

Dream Word – HAPPY

Deuteronomy 32:15 "But Jeshurun grew fat and kicked; You grew fat, you grew thick, You are obese! Then he forsook God who made him, And scornfully esteemed the Rock of his salvation. NKJV

Don’t Lose The Fun

Jeshurun is an hypocorism, a pet name, a term of endearment, a poetical name if you will, for the people of Israel. Jeshurun means, ‘The dear upright people.’ Jacob, becomes Israel who God calls, Jeshurun. I love that one commentator says “With the new name goes a new chance in life, to live up to its meaning.” I like that!

Jeshurun is God’s nickname for the people He loves, yet even this nickname carries with it a deep aspirational desire. “Jeshurun, My dearest and UPRIGHT one.” I know that my heavenly Father calls me Robert. I wonder if he has a nickname for me as well? I’m going to ask Him! He might just let me in on it!

Now, imagine you have married a beautiful woman, hot to the heart, gentle on the mind and pleasing to the eyes and to top it all, she can’t keep her hands off you. Steady now tiger, calm down! What a joy that would be, I mean, wouldn’t it? I know you’d sign up for that and I am sure that both in your joy and in your delight you would also call her “Darling, my beloved, dearest heart, pookie (maybe!) and a whole lot more loveliness besides!” Pet names spring from hearts of love, racing hearts if you will. So tell me, is your heart racing? It is obvious that God’s heart was racing for Jacob, for Israel, for His Jeshurun.

Now to help you calm down, will you imagine another picture, that in a short time, this same woman who once caused your heart to race, has fed her face so much and sat on her butt so long, that her ankles have swollen, her neck has sprouted folded rolls of stinky pink flesh, and she has overall, moved beyond the voluptuous, way past the outer solar system of fatness and travelled into the deep realms of ‘orrible obesity and to top it all, she can’t stand you, indeed, whenever you draw close to her, in either comfort or rescue, she kicks you in the shins, knees you on the outside of the thigh, thumps you on the chest and spits in your face. She is troublesome, worrisome, embarrassing and hateful. The dream has turned into a nightmare and a big fat kicking nightmare at that!

Our text for tonight, tells of a far worse disaster. It tells of chosen and indulgent adultery and I tell you, there is nothing beautiful in that. Nothing. It’s fat with sin and God’s response to such sinful obesity is black looks, green jealousy and red-hot anger! You see, losing the fun of fellowship leads to the sad over indulgence in the tempting but unsatisfying, heart festering food of sin.

I have seen the Christian Jeshuruns lose the fun of fellowship and fall. Yes, I could make mention of many a famous name, that fell and became fat, that became fat and fell, oh hell, let’s not judge, for it could be me, it could be you that loses the fun. Yes, I have seen many an unsinkable marriage, sink!, joyless, fat and fun-less. I have seen many an unbreakable relationship, break, for goodness sake, it could be me, it could be you, that lose the fun, O Jeshurun.


In case you missed it, here is my point for tonight: Don’t lose the fun of following Jesus, don’t flirt with foreign Gods and don’t forget who fathered you, because if you do, then in His anger, He might just turn his face away from fat old you.


Listen:- They provoked Him to jealousy with foreign gods;With abominations they provoked Him to anger. They sacrificed to demons, not to God, To gods they did not know, To new gods, new arrivals That your fathers did not fear. Of the Rock who begot you, you are unmindful, And have forgotten the God who fathered you. "And when the Lord saw it, He spurned them, Because of the provocation of His sons and His daughters. And He said: 'I will hide My face from them, I will see what their end will be, For they are a perverse generation, Children in whom is no faith. (Deuteronomy 32:16-20 NKJV )

Pray:- Lord, I love You! What do you want to do tonight? What do you want to do tomorrow? Where do You want to go? What shall we do together? Let me hear You call my name, let me hear You call me son, Your heart's delight, most dearest child, Your beloved Jeshurun. Amen.

No comments: