Sunday, March 25, 2012

Mar | 25 | The 7 Marks Of Dream Makers & 3 Scales to Measure Them By

Dream WordOBEY

Proverbs 18:9 He who is slothful in his work is a brother to him who is a great destroyer. NKJV

The 7 Marks Of Dream Makers & 3 Scales to Measure Them By

Having just flown back from America to my home in the United Kingdom, I found myself taking a vow. You see, from leaving my pleasant lodgings in Fort Lauderdale, I drove to Miami, flying from there to Boston and then on to Heathrow, where I was picked up at the airport by my son who drove me home, then carried my luggage up the stairs to our apartment as I limped behind him, dazed and thoroughly exhausted. The whole journey had taken me twenty-six hours from door to door, the real frustrations being a delay in Miami, the need to change two deflated aircraft tyres in Boston and an extra hour of frustrated waiting, on the tired tarmac in London. Despite hot food, copious amounts of coffee, blankets, pillows, a fine selection of entertainment and polite, sweet-smelling cabin crews, I classed it as my worst journey yet and vowed never to make it again, that is, not unless I crossed the pond in the style that only a first class cabin can offer!

In the 17th Century, the sea crossing to Boston could take anything from 6 to 28 weeks depending on the wind and the weather. With no bathrooms, no running water, save that beneath the keel, sour beer, mouldy cheese, overcrowding, danger and sickness, George Whitfield that greatest of Christian orators, made that particular crossing, there and back mind you, some thirteen different times! If that wasn’t enough to make this present poor preacher feel any more of a whining wimp, Whitfield went on to preach over ten sermons per week, some 160,000 in his lifetime. On top of this, he corresponded widely, headed up major theological and charitable causes and raised money for them both! In Georgia in particular, just outside of Savannah on the Moon River, Whitfield, today in 1847, aged then just 25 years, began construction on the buildings of the ‘House of Mercy,’ Bethesda, a new orphanage for the provinces, that exists even today, as ‘Bethesda Boys Home.’

Whitfield was burdened with the debt and therefore the fundraising for this orphanage for the rest of his life, indeed, after his death, that burden was even passed along to his Champion and sister in the Faith, Selina, Countess of Huntingdon. Mismanagement, revolution, fire, storm and hurricane, all raised themselves up against the continuance of Whitfield’s long established dream of an orphanage for the provinces, yet despite it all, his dream, though in more modern form, still continues today and has done great good for now over two centuries.


Great dreams require great endeavours. Great dreams require great dreamers with dirt underneath their fingernails. I have found that there is a great difference between the day dreamer and the dream maker and it is a difference of seven degrees, usually marked by prayers, blood, sweat, tears, tiredness, worry and vomit. What are you tonight? A day dreamer or a dream maker? If you would like to know which you are, sniff your armpits, then check your sick bag and your bank account, for those are the three best scales that you shall ever use, to truly discern yourself.

Listen: - He who tills his land will be satisfied with bread, But he who follows frivolity is devoid of understanding. Proverbs 12:11 NKJV

Pray:- Lord, in all my dreaming, in all my visualisation and in all my laws of attraction, help me to get off my backside, stop whining and get on with it! In Jesus name I pray, amen.


                                                                                                            

No comments: