Sunday, March 11, 2012

Mar | 11 | Waffles As Well!

Key Word:- HAPPY

Title:- Waffles as Well!

Revelation 3:20,21 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me.

The pre-schoolers were excited and hungry! The children’s Pastor had just guided them through the ‘Wee Zacheus up the tree, and big Jesus inviting Himself to tea’ story, so the teacher asks the question, “Now children what would you give Jesus if He were coming to your house for tea?” In an instant up goes the pink little hand of the hungry little redheaded girl, Oooooh Miss Bridget, I would make my God waffles!” ……Priceless.

Now, I don’t know if ‘little miss redhead’ was thinking how much she would love to chomp over a few waffles herself or if indeed, her love of them made it the most obvious choice of what she should give Jesus when He came to tea? Yes, I said WHEN, for children at that age, think of the WHEN and not the IF. I remember my own little cherubs at that age and if I had said “Hey come and watch daddy jump over the moon,” there they would be, outside, heads up, looking expectantly at the shiny disc in the night sky waiting for me to leap up, up and away. After all, daddy could do just about anything! Yup ‘little miss redhead’ was living the dream, and it didn’t phase her one little bit. God’s coming to tea! Oooooh Miss Bridget, WHEN He comes, I will make my God waffles!”
Often I go to His house for tea. We call it, ‘Communion,’ or ‘The Lord’s Supper,’ and I have to tell you folks, that on the whole, I do not enjoy it, I do not like the starched stuffiness and forced sobriety of it all within our churches. It’s very uncomfortable on the whole and really not the comforting and happy meal I feel Jesus intended it to be? The fact is that I would rather eat waffles and whipped cream topped with cherries, sitting uncomfortably yet thankfully, on midget pink painted chairs in the company of little ‘miss readhead’ who has Jesus as her kind guest, than on any shiny oak pews with the rest of the frozen chosen.
The drunken revellers of Corinth have a lot to answer for, and when I see them, I shall give them a piece of my mind! For since that time, their shenanigans have subjected millions of us to so many somber and supercilious suppers that I get ulcers just thinking about them. Frankly, I have just sat through too many terrible teas with Jesus that have been directed by some sour and dour faced deacon, or presided over by some pompous po-faced pastor. Oh God deliver us!

Now don’t get me wrong, Corinthian drunkenness coupled with the separateness of social station at the Lord's table was wrong. Good grief, some of them paid for such sins with their very lives! Don’t mess around with God’s holiness that’s for sure! The Corinthians had slipped over the edge and some had paid for it with their lives, however, I can’t think that they were never the less, somewhat more nearer the truth in those triumphant teas than most of us are in our terrible teas, simply because they set an atmosphere of ‘celebration at supper time.’ Oh, and don’t give me that old guff about having ‘deep joy,’ and being ‘somber yet happy.’ Celebration means carnival! The Lord’s supper should be a merry memorial, an opulent observation, a party with a Prince present and a Prince’s presents to remember Him by! Yes you old sourpuss! ‘Bread and Wine’ means celebration time!
If this tea with Jesus is that much of a miserable ordeal for most of us, then let’s vow to have it but once a year, so we can thoroughly prepare both our digestive system and our psychological baggage for a good rummaging. Once a year is about all anyone could handle of that! However, if it’s ‘as often as we drink the fruit of the vine and break the staff of life’, then our celebrative remembrance of the glorious and coming Saviour, Christ Jesus the Lord, must become a great gala of guffawing graciousness to bless the saints and blast the bellowing and accusing devil, right into the center of the hell he deserves!
However, like I said, if you’re drunk, whether on booze or pride, it’s just the same, then let that cup pass right along there, else, you just might end up dead! Yes, if you're high and mighty and think you're better than the rest, then let it pass as well; for with sickly sicknesses, Jesus might just make you both weak and puny. Be careful now. Be very careful.

As far as I can see then, if you’ve got that drunken disrespect of pompous pride put well behind you, then in this most magnificent and merciful of memorial celebration’s of remembrance, eat! Drink and be merry! For the Prince of life died for you, that you might have abundant life. This is the very best reason to be cheerful, isn’t it?

I wonder, if often times, Jesus Himself might rather eat waffles with a prissy little redhead, than break bread with some of us mournful miseries. What do you think? Go on examine yourself in this.

Listen: - And as they were eating, Jesus took bread, blessed and broke it, and gave it to the disciples and said, “Take, eat; this is My body.” Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and gave it to them, saying, “Drink from it, all of you. For this is My blood of the new covenant, which is shed for many for the remission of sins. But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father's kingdom.” Matthew 26:26-29

Pray: - Lord Jesus, we rejoice at the expectancy contained in Your vow of alcoholic abstinence until that day when we shall sit together again around Your gloriously fat table. Amen. Hallelujah and Praise God! We cannot wait Lord to drink of the fruit of the vine with you in heaven. Lord, will there be waffles as well?






3 comments:

Sally said...

Can you explain the reference to the vow of alcoholic abstinence?

Robert said...

Hey Sally
Could you be a little bit more specific and I shall gladly do so.

Robert said...

I am sucha Wally Sally....I think you mean this
Matthew 26:29
29 But I say to you, I will not drink of this fruit of the vine from now on until that day when I drink it new with you in My Father's kingdom."
NKJV

Mark 14:25-26
25 Assuredly, I say to you, I will no longer drink of the fruit of the vine until that day when I drink it new in the kingdom of God."

26 And when they had sung a hymn, they went out to the Mount of Olives.
NKJV

Luke 22:17-22

17 Then He took the cup, and gave thanks, and said, "Take this and divide it among yourselves; 18 for I say to you, I will not drink of the fruit of the vine until the kingdom of God comes."

19 And He took bread, gave thanks and broke it, and gave it to them, saying, "This is My body which is given for you; do this in remembrance of Me."

20 Likewise He also took the cup after supper, saying, "This cup is the new covenant in My blood, which is shed for you. 21 But behold, the hand of My betrayer is with Me on the table. 22 And truly the Son of Man goes as it has been determined, but woe to that man by whom He is betrayed!"
NKJV