Thursday, November 22, 2012

Nov | 22 | Festal Festus Finishes 'Gits R Dun'

Key Word:- PERSEVERE

Title:- Festal Festus Finishes & 'Gits R Dun'

Haggai 1:8 “Go up to the mountains and bring wood and build the temple, that I may take pleasure in it and be glorified,” says the LORD.


I suppose out of many Red Neck phrases, the one I like the most is 'Git 'R Dun.' In other words, get her done, get on with it, you know, 'stop yer whining', stop your loudmouth planning and proctrastinating and just 'Git R Dun!'

The apple of God’s eye, the Jewish people, had now returned from Babylonian exile. The task of rebuilding themselves, their nation, their families and communities, was a most enormous one and every last penny was poured into that end! That focal point for the Jews, that centre of the manifest presence of God, the temple of the LORD, was however now being left till last. They had made a good beginning, but difficulties and problems had turned a temporary lull into a long term postponement! “Now,” everyone was agreed, “Was not yet the time to rebuild the temple of the LORD.”

Unfortunately this was not a good move. Whilst leaving the temple of God undone, half built, in ruins, open to the elements, disheveled, lack luster, -you get the picture don’t you? - they had in-fact continued to invest in their own homes in a substantial manner. Indeed, what was meant for God was going to themselves. ( Oh, and by the way, this isn’t a message about money. It’s far more important than that! )

I am not a good finisher. Countless projects yet to be completed are testimony to that. Examining myself, I am aware of a number of reasons for this. However one that bobs to the surface of my unfinished waves the most, is the lack of FOCUSED PERSEVERENCE. Interestingly, I have observed that this is a particularly bad trait in the area of many of our spiritual lives. Maturity, growth, healing, possession of the land, does not come without a fight which in turn is often a grueling and exhausting experience. So when the tiredness sets in, the tendency of many of us after making such a good start, is not to press on through to completion, but on reaching these difficulties, to lay our existing unreached goals aside and like the good Christians we are, begin yet another good start! The results of this are clear, for unfinished works, especially in the spiritual realm, do not lie quietly, but rather stand and shout at us as a testimony to inconsistency and then they become a further invitation to spiritual mockery and attack and accusation from the enemy. Consequently, the maintenance of such unfinished work becomes in-fact, far higher than the completion of it and if you have a number of these yet to be finished, then be sure, resources across the board will quite naturally get a little tight!

Of course, in Israel’s case there came a time when God also stepped in and said “Enough! This is embarrassing. You are spread too thin. You have not put Me first. It’s a bit of a disgrace and great danger for you. So for now my children, all My good resources are also withheld from you until you put things right! Laziness, lethargy, unholiness, death and disease, are all spread by contact you know? Holiness, wholeness, life and prosperity however, need to be pursued with perseverance. So go up to the mountains, start logging and then COMPLETE THE WORK YOU STARTED! I’ll take pleasure in it, I’ll be glorified, and trust Me, you will be happy. You’ll have enough, you’ll be filled and even be able to save all those resources you have lost to the hungry ground. TRUST ME, put Me first and persevere in the completion of those most spiritual of projects, that I have shown you to do.”
The good news friends, is that the Jews listened to this message from the Lord, attended to the temple and were truly blessed of God in doing so. Now what about us? It is time, isn’t it, for many of us to lay aside our fine houses and our continual good projects that we begin well, and say “Ok Lord. Enough! Where should I first begin to bring to completion, that which I have already started? “Oh Lord! Please finally turn my fretting frustration into thankful festivity.” He who has ears to hear, let him hear.

Listen:- Then Haggai, the LORD's messenger, spoke the LORD's message to the people, saying, “I am with you, says the LORD.” So the LORD stirred up the spirit of Zerubbabel the son of Shealtiel, governor of Judah, and the spirit of Joshua the son of Jehozadak, the high priest, and the spirit of all the remnant of the people; and they came and worked on the house of the LORD of hosts, their God,….. see:- Haggai 1:12-15

Pray: - Lord, show me today my half built houses. Lord, show me today what You would have me to first attend to and complete. Lord I want to put you first in my life. Please be my building manager today, that I may persevere in such a way, that it would lead to some completion, rest, provision and much greater glory for You, O my God. Amen.
 

No comments: