Sunday, May 6, 2012

May | 06 | Finger Fighting

Key Word:- PERSEVERE

Title:- Finger Fighting  

Daniel 1:5 And the king appointed for them a daily provision of the king's delicacies and of the wine which he drank, and three years of training for them, so that at the end of that time they might serve before the king.

One night I channel hopped between two performances of ‘Alison Crouch and Union Station’ and the ‘Russian Ballet’ and well, with all that singing and dancing, a lovely sunset evening, a hot cup of tea and a box of chocolate caramels in my hand, I thought I had finally arrived!

Having had years of practice, I have found that I have become pretty adept at combining eating and drinking, I mean, I can do it with no problems at all. It’s smooth, it’s tasty and only on occasion do I spill stuff down my shirt! Ah, but when it comes to successfully combining music and dance in a most satisfying way, well, I am not so good at it. In fact, I’m rubbish.

As I observed the Bolshoi Ballet, it was obvious that I needed more instruction on the old song and dance front, so I popped in another caramel, hopped over to the other channel and listened longingly at the wonderful sounds so effortlessly produced by the awesome band of Union Station, flicked back again to the other channel and stared at the magnificent movements so muscularly controlled and expertly executed by the Bolshoi. All this singing and dancing was made to look so simple, so effortless! Unfortunately, we know friends that for every minute of winsome wonder, whether from vocal chords or limbered thighs, there lies years and years of 'tough old training'. And there we have it. TRAINING!

The need for 'tough old training' in spiritual matters is equally important, for you cannot 'desire' or 'will' yourself into godliness; you cannot ‘faith’ yourself into sin-overcoming victory, no, you need to be trained to overcome it. Even the young lion, bear, and giant killer David, 'blessed the Lord his Rock who TRAINED his hands for war and his fingers for battle.' (Psalm 144:1). Yes, God focused His training on, even and especially, David’s little fingers and in the so doing, made them mighty!


I wonder if you have ever considered that one of God the Holy Sprit's jobs with you, is that of being a personal trainer, a life-coach if you will, where He is orchestrating events and providentially providing you with challenges to purposely pump up those legs of righteousness and faith, make big those arms of mercy and expand those biceps of love; strengthen the hold of those hands of kindness and patience and build an eternal grip in those fingers of gentleness and long-suffering? Yes sir, love, mercy, faith, gentleness and longsuffering may all be fruits of the Holy Spirit, but all of His fruits and all of His gifts only ripen and grow over time, and then only through much tough training.
So get off that couch of defeat today you poor and pitiful potato and once and for all, lay aside those caramels of carnal apathy! Up and at ‘em people, for you have far from arrived! Be sure to make the most of your God ordained 'tough old' spiritual training today. Yes! It's God who is at work in you.

Listen:- And He spoke a parable to them: “Can the blind lead the blind? Will they not both fall into the ditch? A disciple is not above his teacher, but everyone who is perfectly trained will be like his teacher. Luke 6:39-40

Pray:- Lord, make me fit and able, ready for every good work. In Jesus name I ask it, amen.

No comments: