Saturday, May 26, 2012

May | 26 | A Large Can of Whoooopass

Key Word:- BE

Title:- A Large Can of Whoooopass  

Psalm 139:21,22 Do I not hate them, O LORD, who hate You? And do I not loathe those who rise up against You? I hate them with perfect hatred;I count them my enemies.

A Friend of mine once told me he thought he should have been born in Old Testament times, because then you could really deal with your enemies instead of forgiving them, loving and praying for them. I know what he means, for New testament Christianity is very demanding on the cheeks!

Our verses today are not often spoke of in the church, whilst the following and last two verses of this psalm are often heard quoted. Here they are: "Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; And see if there is any wicked way in me, And lead me in the way everlasting." They are nice, but so often they are utilised well outisde of their original context.

Now friends it is in fact quite easy to see why all these verses should appear together. As the old commentator Adam Clarke puts it: "For he who hates, utterly hates, the practices of any man, is not far from hating the man himself. It is very difficult to hate the sin with all the heart and yet the sinner love." Opening a can of 'Whooopass' is a dangerous thing to do. Do you see that?

Remember that David was a man of extremities. He loved you or he hated you. It was all or nothing. There was no holding back with this man. You knew exactly where you stood with David, however I suspect it made living with him a bit of a white knuckle ride. Never the less, God seemed to love him dearly and David was at least a little aware of the problems associated with his passion. In other words he knew that you don't open a large 'can of whooopass' without getting some of it on yourself. If I might paraphrase him he says, "These passions overwhelm me. There they are, I cannot deny them and I must express them. Never the less I know what is in me, so search me and know me and remove the root of my own wickedness."

I like that. Its dangerous stuff mind you isn't it? Imagine if the church or your place of work suddenly had members and employees really expressing how they felt about things, people and issues. The volcanic eruption doesn't bear thinking about does it?! I can't help but wonder though, if it is never the less a healthier way to live?

I am sure we need to learn how to express ourselves without sinning. You will notice I did not say hurting, offending, upsetting, or rocking the boat. Nope. It does not happen like that. Emotional expression can be a wild wave to ride. So today friends, very carefully and without sinning, why not go on and express yourself. Do some wild dancing! But please weigh down your linen ephod, put some underpants on and open any 'large cans of whooopass' with the greatest of self examining care!

Listen:-Then David danced before the LORD with all his might; and David was wearing a linen ephod. 2 Samuel 6:14

Pray:- Lord, help me to live before You in extravagant passion. Search me and show me my sin. Let me own it and then willingly forsake it today and as I twirl before You, may all my poisonous emotions drip from my fingertips and Lord my Lord, will You fill me with Your extravagant joy! In Jesus name I pray, amen.







No comments: