Friday, February 24, 2012

Feb | 24 | Rings of Gold On Beds of Fulfilment

Dream Word – PROSPER

Numbers 30:2
If a man makes a vow to the LORD, or swears an oath to bind himself by some agreement, he shall not break his word; he shall do according to all that proceeds out of his mouth.

Rings of Gold On Beds of Fulfilment.

Vows are voluntary promises made with God. Vows are considered Biblically to be both sacred and binding duties, which if right when made, both scarily and majestically, change their form from voluntary to compulsory and must then at all costs, be put into practice!

Biblically, vows were often born out of mostly distress or desire and they were expressed as pledges toward God in return for favour. The favour required was various, but the pledge given, whether it was expressed in terms of devotion, abstinence or destruction, was never the less, always sacrificial in nature.

Marriage vows are also voluntary promises which when made, turn into compulsory, sacred and binding duties! In the end, these vows involve the devotion of one man to one woman, of one woman to one man, with the mutual abstinence of anything and anyone that may mar that devotion or might become, the destruction of the fulfilment of that devotion. Though often delightful and desirous, the continual completion of this devotion, the fulfilment of these vows, is always, I say again, is always sacrificial.

Marriage vows are made between a man and a woman before God. The voluntary promises made before God, are then, mightily and mysteriously, turned into a binding covenant of oaths and pledges called marriage. The marriage is performed and carried out by the man and the woman being wed. Did you get that! The man and a woman, marry themselves with the vows which they take before Almighty God. It is simply the privilege of any minister, and that is all it is, a privilege and not a power, to make a pronouncement on the correctness of such vows when made. At the time of my writing, I am counselling a couple tonight, who are in the process of getting married and I shall later, on a beach in south Florida, have the privilege of pronouncing the correctness of their marriage which they shall make with one another. Husband and wife, you married yourselves! Remember that.

Today is the day of my own wedding anniversary. Currently, I have been married 30 years. Like all husbands, I have an obligation, today especially, to examine my own marriage and make some pronouncements of either correctness or dysfunction. All us married folk have a mixture of both these things in our relationship and though the balance of one against the other may change throughout the years, with the years, comes the danger of a settling and a setting. A settling for less than the best and a setting of the less than the best, in unchanging stone! Vows however, never go hard or mouldy before God. They are as a fresh and as binding, as breathtaking and as beautiful as the day they were made. The relationship they are attached to therefore needs must be the same. There is always then in any relationship, more work yet to be done.

I remind myself tonight and in the so doing also remind many of you and warn I hope, many, many more, that the achieving of the breathtaking and the beautiful, always takes commitment and sacrifice and both of these are a continual feast. Let us married folk and soon to be married folk, commit ourselves then tonight, that on the morrow and long times thereafter, we shall achieve these vows with joy, so that all our settlings may be of diamonds of light and all our settings, may be rings of gold, on beds of fulfilment. For when the judge of the whole earth looks down on our marriage beds, He does not wear a black cap and gown, but rather sports a paper party hat, a smiling face, looking on with longing and laughing, whilst holding a party blower in one hand and several party poppers in the other. Rejoice therefore in the wife of your youth and the husband of increasing age. Rejoice! It’s party time!

Listen: - Then Moses spoke to the heads of the tribes concerning the children of Israel, saying, "This is the thing which the Lord has commanded: If a man makes a vow to the Lord, or swears an oath to bind himself by some agreement, he shall not break his word; he shall do according to all that proceeds out of his mouth. Numbers 30:1-2 NKJV


Pray:- Hear my cry, O God; Attend to my prayer. From the end of the earth I will cry to You. When my heart is overwhelmed; Lead me to the rock that is higher than I, for You have been a shelter for me, a strong tower from the enemy. I will abide in Your tabernacle forever; I will trust in the shelter of Your wings. Remember that! For You, O God, have heard my vows; You have given me the heritage of those who fear Your name. You will prolong the my life, my years as many generations, yes, I shall abide before God forever! So then, prepare mercy and truth, which in turn, may preserve me! Then I will sing praise to Your name forever, that I may daily perform my vows. (from Psalm 61)

1 comment:

leah said...

a true and beautiful post; many continued blessings in your own marriage!