Saturday, February 11, 2012

Feb | 11 | Fine & Fantastic Foughts!

Key Word:- COURAGE

Title:- Fine & Fantastic Foughts!

Proverbs 17:22 A merry heart does good, like medicine, but a broken spirit dries the bones.


The dog days of winter, all clothed in grey. An on-going argument with my wife. Lazy people being lazy, while the demands of the day are taunting me with business so much so that I don’t really know if I am on foot or horseback! Confrontation. Rain. Hopeless people. Traffic jams. Red lights. Betrayal. Stupidity. Miserable, unbelieving Christians and the big, heavy grinding drill at the dentist. (Actually I don't know which of those two are the worst?) These are just a small list of things that hook into my soul and weigh it down, invoking misery and sucking the life out of me.

“Why don't you get back into bed?...Reasons to be cheerful (part 3).” So goes the beginning of a famous song by poet and performer, Ian Drury. (His band, “the blockheads” are still touring by the way.) I like the song and I like the point. For there are many times when we have to encourage ourselves, count our own blessings and in the so doing, remind ourselves of the goodness of our God toward us.

Drury, handicapped by polio at an early age, and touring while dying of colon cancer, had but the inane and silly things of life to try and make him giggle, to try and get him out of bed even. We have more than this funny but puny and pitiful little list that he provides for us in his song! Even all the promises of God, which are yes, and 'it shall be done', in Christ Jesus. Imagine that! All the promises of God are ours!

Now that's great to know, but frankly it's not enough. I find three other practical things need to be done here to realise these great truths, these mosr profound promises.

Firstly, I need to avoid, if at all possible, those things that I know effect me in a negative way and if I can't avoid them, then I need to be prepared to meet them and overcome them.

Secondly, I need to be very pro-active in remembering, rejoicing in and applying those promises that are both ‘yes and Amen in Christ Jesus!’ This is so very important. Understand and learn how to personally apply the promises.

Lastly,  I need to expose myself to those things that warm and encourage my soul. Quick unhealthy fixes like chocolate, red wine, and caffeine, only make you more miserable in the end friend, so try not to go there!

May I encourage you to prepare to take care of your heart today; for out of it are all the issues of life. After all, we have glorious and eternal reasons to be cheerful, so get thinking and then get to fighting the enemy, with these fine and fantastic foughts!

Listen: -The discerning heart seeks knowledge, but the mouth of a fool feeds on folly. All the days of the oppressed are wretched, but the cheerful heart has a continual feast. Proverbs 15:14-15 NIV

Pray: - My lovely Jesus, help me and teach me to keep my own vineyard well. Amen !(SOS 1:6)


 

No comments: