Friday, February 10, 2012

Feb | 10 | Of Idiots & Heroes!

Key Word:- PROMISE

Title:- Of Idiots & Heroes!

Romans 14:12 So then each of us shall give account of himself to God
 


Hands clasped neatly behind his back, the Naval Commander looked on from the side of the riverbank as he intently watched for teamwork, initiative and leadership qualities to emerge naturally from this challenging situation.

The Commander’s gaze traversing eagle-like, left to right and then right to left, momentarily fell upon me. I don’t know what happened, but time seemed to stand still. As he peered at me intently, the very expensive new and shiny tool slipped out of my hand and fell about five feet into the water below me. As it disappeared with a large splash, the Commander’s face broadcast his thoughts most loudly and most clearly. You blithering idiot!” I gazed at the splash below me as the expensive tool, it’s large wooden handle holding it now just below the surface, went bobbing and floating speedily away, the torrential rain and mud-filled, strong current, scurrying it far, far away from us.

In an instant I was up from my position, running across the partly constructed bridge, leaping into the air and onto the opposite side of the river bank, striding across the small sand bar that jutted into the rushing waters and with one foot damp in the shallows, was seen quickly to lean over and nimbly pick the once lost and expensive tool out of the jaws of the wet and startled puppy of a river! The Commander's eyes shone forth praise and in front of everyone, he applauded! Yes indeed, he stood there and clapped me. In an instant I was changed from an ‘Idiot’ into a ‘Hero.’ I was seen to be someone who could pull victory from disaster, a quick thinking, self-starting, man of action! Someone worthy, probably, no undoubtedly, someone worthy to command one day, even a battleship.

In retrospect when examining my drives, I find I did not care two cents for the tool, the bridge, or even the other Cadets around me, neither did I care for the mission or task we had been given to complete. I didn’t much care for the overseeing Commander either come to that! What I did care about though was being publicly embarrassed! I did care about losing face, about losing the possibility of promotion, opportunity, and future capacity. I cared about being put to open shame. I cared about losing my reward.
A day is coming soon, when the Great Commander will examine our works, not for salvation, but for reward. These rewards are great things, the possession of which I believe will determine our future capacity to enjoy and glorify God. Today, it might be a good exercise to examine what you do and even who you are, in front of the Judgment Seat of Christ. Let me ask you, “Are you an idiot? Or a hero?”

Whatever the motivation, I say whatever the motivation, many of us need to get up today and start redeeming that which is lost; be it lost time, lost opportunity and especially lost relationship. Jesus is coming soon! Intend to stand before Him as an hero and not as an idiot. Imagine hearing His words echoing now in your ears Well done good and faithful servant, enter into the joy of the Lord.” Won't that be just wonderful eh?

Listen: - for the Day will declare it, because it will be revealed by fire; and the fire will test each one's work, of what sort it is. If anyone's work which he has built on it endures, he will receive a reward. If anyone's work is burned, he will suffer loss; 1 Corinthians 3:13-15


Pray: - Lord, give me eternal perspective, that I might number my days, and attend to my course and amend my ways above this broken bridge which spans the running river of my life, in Jesus name I pray, amen.








No comments: