Friday, April 20, 2012

Apr | 20 | Touching Toads

Key Word:- TRUTH

Title:- Touching Toads

1 Corinthians 4:5 Therefore judge nothing before the time, until the Lord comes, who will both bring to light the hidden things of darkness and reveal the counsels of the hearts.

A man walks into a psychiatrist’s office and says that he thinks he’s a toad. Looking sympathetically at him the doctor says, “Well hop onto the couch. I want you to tell me every little detail about yourself, warts and all!”

It’s an old joke but I like it. The saying ‘Warts and All’ is attributed to the leader of the only Republic England ever had, Oliver Cromwell. Speaking to his French portrait painter Mr. Peter Lily, Cromwell is reputed to have said “I desire you would use all your skill to paint my picture truly like me, and not flatter me at all; but remark all these roughnesses, pimples, warts and all; otherwise I never will pay a farthing for it.” Cromwell of course had an enormous wart on his face. It seems to me this man at the very least, was a brave realist.

It’s true that when we are brave enough, we all long for realism. Until that is, we begin to see the picture that is painted for us! When the warts are revealed for us and all the world to see, our courage often exchanges places with self-justifying cowardice! When this happens to us, and my friends please be assured that it eventually happens to us all, we need to find some solitude for our revealed ugliness, to then begin to seek the all-seeing God.

Prayer I think, is like being in the psychiatrist chair. We get a chance to speak with Jesus and tell Him how we feel, what we truly think, ‘Warts and All’. It’s an enormous release to be able to go to God and just speak about the real things that are pressing in on us, bending us almost to breaking point. Here in prayer, we get the opportunity to be relieved of our burdens, to find counsel, solace, and comfort in our most ugly time of need. Yes, our most ugliest time of need. “Don’t hide anything, just come” says Jesus. “Cast all your care on me, for I care greatly for you.”

Prayer however, is a two way process, and Jesus speaks to us as well. When we are ready, and sometimes I wonder, when He can stand His silence no more, He speaks to us, giving us a true and real diagnosis of our condition. It’s often less than flattering, and we often don’t like it, but it is the gracious truth, ‘Warts and All’. I wonder if we are never as good as we think we are, and often far worse than we believe ourselves to be? Are we ready to have such beautiful but grotesque views of ourselves ground into dust, I wonder? Are we ready to listen to Him today?

Maybe God wants to have a little word with you today about your warts? If so, then don’t worry. He is good.

Listen: - And behold, a leper came and worshipped Him, saying, “Lord, if You are willing, You can make me clean.” Then Jesus put out His hand and touched him, saying, “I am willing; be cleansed.” Immediately his leprosy was cleansed. (Matthew 8:2-3)

Pray: - When You reveal my true self to me today O Lord my God, reveal also Your Son in me. Lord, if You are willing, despite my many warts, You can make me clean. Please do it, amen.


 

No comments: