Thursday, January 9, 2014

Jan | 09 | Why the ‘Y’ must fall away

FATHER

Why the ‘Y’ must fall away

Matthew 6:26-34
Look at the birds of the air, for they neither sow nor reap nor gather into barns; yet your heavenly Father feeds them. Are you not of more value than they? Which of you by worrying can add one cubit to his stature? "So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these. Now if God so clothes the grass of the field, which today is, and tomorrow is thrown into the oven, will He not much more clothe you, O you of little faith? "Therefore do not worry, saying, 'What shall we eat?' or 'What shall we drink?' or 'What shall we wear?' For after all these things the Gentiles seek. For your heavenly Father knows that you need all these things. But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you. Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about its own things. Sufficient for the day is its own trouble. NKJV


At the beginning of the 21st century, the Church of Jesus Christ in the West, is awash with ‘Daddy-ism’. The general impression which Daddyism leaves us about God is that of an overly compassionate Deity who cares little about what we have done, indeed, overlooks the way we have lived, our constant rebellion and selfishness, just so’s he can get His hands on us to simply love us, hold us to Himself and say, ‘There, there, there.’ This used to be called indulgence and in my observation it has always ruined the child.

I do not want God to be such a ‘Daddy’ to me. I have no respect for such an individual. Now, that may sound outrageous to some of you but I say it out of Biblical revelation and experience. Dealing with my experience first then, let me tell you that after walking with Him for over 30 years, My heavenly Father has been exceptionally gracious to me, but He has never indulged me and indeed, most of the time, He has been and is, as tough as tough can be, neither being swayed nor turned by my often screeching. In His good purposes toward me, He has been and is, immovable, and in His discipline, He has been constant toward me, and in His material provision, He has been measured. So much so, that compared to the tales I have heard from the pulpit regarding my ‘Daddy’ God, I have to conclude that I probably do not belong to that particular ‘Daddy’ and therefore, I am probably not a believer, and most definitely not a Christian! Now, don’t get me wrong here, my Father God is not a stern, Victorian like Father, with an ever grimacing waxed moustache and top hat, waiting to speak to me in the drawing room, armed with a belt and slipper, no, He’s not that, but I have to confess He has never been an indulgent Daddy to me. And you know, I do not want Him to be.

God is my Father, He loves me. God is my Father,. He provides and protects me. God is my Father, I can go to Him about anything. God is my Father and in all my dealings with Him, He demands I grow up, take responsibility and become the man He created me to be that I too may be a Father to others. God is my Father, and I love Him and respect Him. God is my Father, I obey Him. God is my Dad.

Now look, there is a journey from Father to Dad. There is a won intimacy, a growing knowledge, a felt warmth, that only the years can bring, when a growing son, a maturing son (and that’s important) can from His heart, call his Father, Dad. I have observed that people who have such respect for their Father, only call Him Dad when in intimate and private conversations with Him, and also, only call Him Dad when they are with other mature and intimate family members. There seems to be a preciousness and an intimacy of knowledge between them, when they use the word Dad. They rarely do this publicly, or with outsiders.

There is a journey from Dad to Daddy as well, but it is a regressive one, and one which requires a light blue blankie and thumb to suck. Yes, there is a journey from Dad to Daddy, and it is a regressive one which requires a laying aside of both knowledge and respect, and maybe worse than that, is also indicative of a refusal to grow up and therefore to obey from the heart with willingness and joy, the often times difficult instructions from our Father.

I confess that I could be a much better son. I confess that I have neither progressed nor have matured as much as I should have done. I confess, that I have still much ground to possess. But I tell you that I know that my Father is great and is that He is good, though often His ways are beyond me. Finally, to those of you who also know Him, I say “No matter what, all will be well. Don’t worry, I know He won’t desert me, I know He will protect and provide for me, I know He treats me like this, because He is my Dad.”

Listen:-  So He said to them, "When you pray, say: Our Father in heaven, Hallowed be Your name. Your kingdom come. Your will be done On earth as it is in heaven. Give us day by day our daily bread. And forgive us our sins, For we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us. And do not lead us into temptation, But deliver us from the evil one." Luke 11:2-4 NKJV

Pray: - Father, Dad, please, I want to know You more. Show Yourself to me more and more, I pray this as son in the name of Your Son Jesus, amen.

If this Everyday Bible Insight has helped you - then do please share it!











  

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In the Lord's prayer, obedience to the Father is indeed central (Your will be done). And instead of asking God to indulge us, our first request is for simple daily bread. The next request is for forgiveness, but adds that this is connected with our obedience in forgiving those who sin against us.