Thursday, January 16, 2014

Jan | 16 | Know Your Words!

DESIRE

Know Your Words!  

Song of Solomon 2:4 
He brought me to the banqueting house, And his banner over me was love. NKJV

It is the great English Baroque composer, Henry Purcell, who is attributed by some singers from the 1970’s as being ‘a great influence on modern day Rock and Roll.’ In any event, this 17th Century composer is influencing me this morning as I recall one of his most famous ‘Pop’ songs of his day entitled: ‘Cakes and Ale.’ ( Oh, and by the way, if you haven’t heard Maddy Prior and June Tabor singing this, then you have missed a treat.) One of my favourite lines from this ancient hit is ‘I thought she was afear'd, till she stroked my beard, and we were wondrous merry.’ To which theme the chorus explodes in singing: “Merry me hearts, merry me cocks, merry me sprites, Merry, merry, merry, merry, merry me hay down derry, I kissed her once and I kissed her twice, And we were wondrous merry!” Yes indeed, I bet you were!

The ancient song was a bit naughty and a little bit cheeky, but great fun. The people who sang Purcell’s ancient drinking song knew exactly what it was about, and they had a great time singing about it as well! In the modern day church, the out of context much over allegorizing of our text for today, has led to many believers singing some, and one particular ‘worship’ songs in hilarious ignorance!

In our text, the intent of the line in this Song of Songs, is that the lover knew that he wanted her to ‘stroke his beard’ and probably not a little more besides! In other words, just in case you’re not getting it, this verse is about the ecstatic exhilaration of sexual intercourse. When it says, “His banner over me was love” we can also legitimately write it as “His intent toward me was lovemaking”. Now, trying singing that little chorus again!

The whole of the Song of Songs is about the joy of sex between a married man and woman. There is no hint of procreation in the song, no, it is all about recreation. Sure, we can also pick out a multitude of spiritual parallels in the book but the legitimate joy of sex is at its very heart, and did I tell you, it is only expressed here, and with great abandoned and unashamed holiness, between a man and a woman who are both married to one another.

Remember, God made men and women, He made beauty and desire, and put them all together in a glorious marriage bed. Maybe you need to put your magazine down, turn your computer off, put your DVD away, stop fumbling in your pants or surreptitiously bumbling in the bedroom, propose, get married and start rejoicing. And yes, sometimes, it is as legitimate and as simple as that!

Listen:- He brought me to the banqueting house, And his banner over me was love.  Sustain me with cakes of raisins, Refresh me with apples, For I am lovesick.  His left hand is under my head, And his right hand embraces me.” Song of Solomon 2:4-6NKJV

“Marriage is honourable among all, and the bed undefiled; but fornicators and adulterers God will judge.” Hebrews 13:4NKJV

 

“but if they cannot exercise self-control, let them marry. For it is better to marry than to burn with passion.” 1 Corinthians 7:7 NKJV

Pray: -  Father, find me a help meet. Lord, give me a partner of mutual desire. The O mighty Holy Spirit, ignite our marriage in pleasure, that we may rejoice together in You. Amen.
 
If this Everyday Bible Insight has helped you - then do please share it!











  

No comments: