Saturday, July 7, 2012

Jul | 07 | A Standing Ovation

Key Word:- CONSIDER

Title:- A Standing Ovation

1 Samuel 17:38 So Saul clothed David with his armor, and he put a bronze helmet on his head; he also clothed him with a coat of mail. David fastened his sword to his armour and tried to walk, for he had not tested them. And David said to Saul, “I cannot walk with these, for I have not tested them.” So David took them off.

One time when our son left home and went on his travels he left his guitar for us. It was a nice one, an ‘Ovation hard back.’ It stood in the corner against the wall and frankly, didn’t get played at all. I wanted to play but just couldn’t. You see the strings were around a ¼ of an inch from the fret board. Blessed with little fingers, I found pressing them down securely to get the correct note to be a virtual impossibility. When I tried it, it was painful. it sounded awful, I didn’t really enjoy it, and I looked really clumsy. So it was pretty much left alone and had become the wrong kind of ‘Standing Ovation.’ It was good stuff, left lying in a corner, mocking me. Let me ask you this morning, what good stuff do you have that you cannot use correctly or effectively?

It happens a lot doesn’t it? People in the wrong jobs, with beautiful armour, all approaching giants and making a right ‘pigs ear’ of it! It takes a lot of courage to say to failing folks like that, "Friend it’s not working is it?" It takes even more courage to address that observation to ourselves.
The armour might look great on Saul, but only five stones and a sling will do the job in your case. What have you got in your hand that is not working, that is uncomfortable or makes you stumble? Let go of it, put it down, and take up what is truly yours. You can guarantee that you will feel better, move smoother, lighter and be more effective than you ever thought possible.

Stephen, (see Acts 6&7) the first recorded martyr of the Christian church, took to himself the Word of God and the shield of faith and so was enabled to march through the ranks of the religious with mighty signs and wonders, being enabled to dispute so irresistibly with certain of the Jews, that it was like heaving the broad sword of God across their ranks and laying bare their stinking hearts. He died in battle friends, but never the less, died effectively and gloriously, his face bright and happy, gleaming with the reflected glory of God, because he died using that which was his and so received from his mostly seated and admiring Master, a Standing Ovation in heaven.

Maybe getting to heaven just isn’t enough? Maybe how we arrive and are addressed and greeted when we get there should mean so much more to us? Let me ask you today then, “ Just what do you seek in glory?” Think about that O warrior of God, and worrier of hell, what do you seek from the King of Glory? Look! What has He put in your hand today? Use it. It’s mightier than you think.

Listen:- “Look! I see the heavens opened and the Son of Man standing at the right hand of God!” (Acts 7:56)

Pray:- Lord. Grace alone has got me there, and will keep me so. Yet rewards await. Help me to use the    talents you have given me in an effective and pleasing way. Let me discover my gifts and usefulness today God, in Your great name I ask it, amen.






No comments: