Thursday, July 26, 2012

Jul | 26 | Sensible Selfishness

Key Word:- PEACE


Title:- Sensible Selfishness

Song of Songs 1:5,6 I am dark, but lovely, O daughters of Jerusalem, Like the tents of Kedar, Like the curtains of Solomon. Do not look upon me, because I am dark, Because the sun has tanned me. My mother's sons were angry with me; They made me the keeper of the vineyards, But my own vineyard I have not kept.

Even the pre-flight presentations are now mostly presented on video. The fun of the small pantomime at the front of the air craft is almost gone, so let us share some memories of those happy times! For me it was always the shock of making sure that, should the oxygen masks fall, even if you are sat next to a small child, even the darling of your life, you must put your mask on first. Even if you are sat next to your wife, your very heart and soul, you must put your mask on first. In fire, flood, crumpling metal and tightest of lungs, you must take care of yourself first, so you can then take better care of others.

Evangelical Christianity does a lot of travelling on guilt trips. The pressure from the pulpit to be involved in this or that ministry can be immense. The pastor's local heroes are of course those dedicated souls who run themselves ragged and still smile for Jesus. Until one day, they wake up, look in the mirror and see panda eyes and cheeks draped like heavy curtains weighing down their now meager smiles. The pastor often does not fair much better; you know? Bitter, fatter, balder. You know it's the truth! In this respect, in the end we are responsible for our own vineyards, yet the church and especially the ‘go-getting’ Pastor, in all his busyness, must beware not to destroy the vineyards of its members. Think about that.

Spanish poet Antonio Machado says in his poem 'The Wind One Brilliant Day':-

The wind, one brilliant day, called
To my soul with an odour of jasmine.

‘In return for the odour of my jasmine,
I’d like all the odour of your roses.’

‘I have no roses; all the flowers
in my garden are dead

‘Well then, I’ll take the withered petals
and the yellow leaves and the waters of the fountain.’

The wind left. And I wept. And I said to myself;
‘What have you done with the garden that was entrusted to you?’


Listen:- Jesus said to him, “'You shall love the LORD your God with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your mind.' This is the first and great commandment. And the second is like it: 'You shall love your neighbour as yourself.' On these two commandments hang all the Law and the Prophets.” Matthew 22:37-40

Pray:- Lord, walk with me in my garden in the cool of my day, hold me in my desolation and let us together, begin again to make something beautiful, amen.







No comments: