Saturday, January 7, 2012

Jan | 07 | The Bible - The Face Book

Dream– SEE

John 14:12-14 "Most assuredly, I say to you, he who believes in Me, the works that I do he will do also; and greater works than these he will do, because I go to My Father. And whatever you ask in My name, Word that I will do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son. If you ask anything in My name, I will do it. NKJV

The Bible - The Face Book

In the early 19th Century a congregational minister in Topeka, Kansas was having not a few problems in keeping the younger people in his congregation interested in his messages during the evening service. To gain and keep their attention he developed a narrative style of communication by reading aloud his made up stories of a fictional minister, ‘Dr Henry Maxwell.’
The fictional Maxwell, was the respected pastor of the equally fictional First Church of Raymond, who now, at each weekly evening service, unpacked in narrative style before the now well gripped younger crew, the idea that ‘Christian discipleship demanded more than mere mental assent.’ Maxwell’s weekly movements of transferring grace to goodness, of putting Christ back on two legs with two hands an open heart, mouth and wallet, was done so by prefacing every attitude and action of his own full but fictional life with one very simple yet quite profound question: “What would Jesus do in this situation if He were me?” The Rev. Charles Sheldon’s narrative style became so popular that his sermon series was turned into a book called, ‘In His Steps’ and the rest as they say, is history.

The mass marketing of this little phrase ‘What would Jesus do?’ and everything branded WWJD can drive you to distraction! What would Jesus do with His kidneys? What would Jesus drive? What would Jesus bomb first? What would......, well you get my drift. Never the less, make no mistake about it, this little phrase is the second biggest question that we who are trying to be the ‘Imitation of God’ can ever ask of ourselves. “What would Jesus Do?”

Tonight however, I want to challenge us all in that greater question. For before we can answer the question of ‘What would Jesus do?’ we must know exactly just who Jesus is? Now, there it is, there is the greater question. Do you know who Jesus is? No, not ‘Have you accepted Him as your personal Saviour and Lord?’ No, that’s too easy, that’s just become another tick in a box, that’s often a distraction and God help us, in our day, it is more often than not, that our affirmation to this questions is nothing but a big fat lie! No, the more important question for you tonight is this, "Do you know Jesus? Do you know who He is, what He likes and dislikes, what makes Him tick, who His friends are, where He likes to go, who He likes to hang out with? Do you know what annoys Him indeed, do you know what gets His gander up? Do you know how to please Him? Do you know the Jesus of the Bible?”
The sad indictment for Christians at the beginning of the 21st century is that they do not know the Jesus of the Bible. Tell me then tonight, how can we begin to do what Jesus wants, if we do not know who on earth or in heaven, He truly is?

My commitment this year is to get to know Him more? How about you?

Listen: - Many will say to Me in that day, 'Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?' And then I will declare to them, 'I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness!' Matthew 7:22-23 NKJV

Pray:- Lord, You have put Your face in Your book. All Your groups, all Your friends, all Your likes and all Your dislikes are there for me to see. Come and poke me in the morning O Lord my God, come and write an invitation on my wall to come and walk with You today that I might know You more. Amen and Amen.

No comments: