Saturday, June 16, 2012

Jun | 16 | Designed for Dignity

Key Word:- INTEGRITY

Title:- Designed for Dignity

Acts 19:15 And the evil spirit answered and said, “Jesus I know, and Paul I know; but who are you?” .

Glasgow band ‘Deacon Blue,’ brought out an amazing song some years ago now, called ‘Dignity’.’ I wish I had the space to write out the whole of the lyrics but I haven’t, so I encourage you to go and find them on the web! However, the last few lines of the song ‘Dignity’read:

And I’m thinking about home
And I’m thinking about faith
And I’m thinking about work
And I’m thinking about how
good it would be
To be here some day
On a ship called Dignity

Dignity. More men need to grapple with this very subject. More of the people of God need to set sail on their own ship of personal Dignity.

Arthur Miller in his marvellous play, ‘The Crucible’ (based on the Salem, Massachusetts witch trials of 1692) so wonderfully presents us with the dilemma of the sinful, but honest Puritan, ‘John Proctor’. After wrongly confessing to his participation in witchcraft, he like Latimer of old, later takes back his false confession that would have saved his life, tears it up and cries out “How may I live without my name? I have given you my soul; leave me my name.”

In desperation the character ‘Hale’ tells Proctor that he shall hang for not confessing to the sin of witchcraft and even though they all know it will a bogus confession, he should never the less, confess! Hale says in effect “How can you indulge in sinful pride, how can you exchange your life for your name?” The writer Miller, at this point then has the character of Proctor in the crucible of his interrogation, discover the long lost gold of his personal dignity when he replies to Hale saying, “I can. And there's your first marvel, that I can. You have made your magic now, for now I do think I see some shred of goodness in John Proctor. Not enough to weave a banner with, but white enough to keep it from such dogs.” Proctor then strides aboard his own ship of Dignity, regarding his own personal integrity more than his public reputation. This stand allows Proctor the redeeming of his own character just as much as his true confession, then allows God to redeem his own lost soul.

Truth and honor, Proctor’s rediscovered dress of dignity, became more important to Proctor than life itself. As John Proctor goes to his death, his wife Elizabeth weeps in acknowledgement of his rediscovery of his own lost gold, saying: “He has his goodness now. God forbid I take it away.” Yes, there is something shining, there is something good, there is something most valuable in personal dignity!

Many of us need to dig deep for this gold of personal dignity, long lost and hanging somewhere in the discarded and dark wardrobe depths of our personal being. You will never be a man without personal dignity and you will never be a beautiful woman without adorning yourself with the same.

Christian friend, what is your name today? What value has heaven and hell set by its exultation or its fall? Consider this today: Who are you? What fragrant scent follows the saying of your name? What value is it both to you and to others? Tell me, what shape is the sail of your dignity when it is unfolded upon the lips of others by the uttering of your lovely name?

Listen:- Because of the fragrance of your good ointments, Your name is ointment poured forth; Therefore the virgins love you. Song of Solomon 1:3 NKJV

The syllables of your name murmur like a meadow brook. No wonder everyone loves to say your name! Song of Solomon 1:3 (from THE MESSAGE )

A good name is better than precious ointment, Ecclesiastes 7:1


Pray:- Lord! Let courage, strength, honour and dignity mark the people You name O God; Lord today, show me more of who I am supposed to be, show me how You see me in the depths of Your heart. Jesus please, help me clothe myself in the dignity and truth, of understanding of who I truly am in You. Amen and amen!


No comments: