Thursday, June 21, 2012

Jun | 21 | Quiver Time

Key Word:- PATIENCE

Title:- Quiver Time

2 Kings 13:17 And he said, “Open the east window”; and he opened it. Then Elisha said, “Shoot”; and he shot. And he said, “The arrow of the LORD's deliverance and the arrow of deliverance from Syria; for you must strike the Syrians at Aphek till you have destroyed them.”
 
It was around 1:30am and a good 40 mile drive home in the dark. Driving down those country roads meant it took some time to get there, but the fact is, I really don't remember the journey home!

When I boxed, I had always been able to punch 'above' my weight and was always able to 'take a good punch' as well, ask my doctor! I can still remember the time I awoke out of anesthetic after having my very deviated and dislocated septum put back for the second time. The surgeon was leaning over me, peering into my eyes, his big, red-veined bulbous nose making him look like 'Rudolph the red nose reindeer' and with the remnants of the anesthesia giving his voice a booming and distant quality he said; “Well, what a bloody mess that was!” He'd fixed my snout up lovely again, but he was certainly not impressed that I could 'take a punch'.

In the last round of that particular fight at the Butlins Holiday Park in Bognor Regis, as usual, my lack of fitness was showing and as the final seconds ticked away, my coach got worried that the referee might step in and stop the bout. It had been a gruelling one and my opponent certainly was a big hitter. I remember lying back on the ropes as he piled into me, just blocking, covering up, leaning back, shaking my head and laughing at him. His home crowd hated my open disdain of their boy and booed loudly at my shenanigans. It was around midnight, the air was heavy with stale alcohol and blue cigarette smoke, but even with the booing, it was obvious that the crowd loved it. I didn't feel a thing. I could take a punch. However, I don't remember the drive home!
With literally less than 20 seconds to go, my coach threw in the towel and it was all over. I went back to my corner, a bit bewildered at what he had done (maybe a bit thankful as well) and he put his arm around my neck and said; “Well done Rob, well done. We've got our own show in two weeks and I just can't risk losing you for that.” You see if you get stopped in a fight, it goes on your card and you are not allowed to participate in competition for three weeks. The club's own annual show is usually its only real major money making event for the year and so it needs its boxers fit, ready, and approved for competition; if that means throwing in the towel now, so be it. A more important battle lies ahead.

Some of you are on the bench looking on at what is happening on the field. Some of you have been taken off the pitch and are surprised at your recall. Some of you are itching to get back into the fray. Steady now, steady, the great coach knows what He is doing. He purposes a victory for the whole team, not just you. Friend, when the time is right, He shall reach back into His quiver and find your feathers ready for flight and in instant you shall feel the tension of His mighty bow, drawing back, drawing back, back, back until the release of His sure like grip shall send you swiftly to the centre of His chosen target. Be patient friends, be patient, for God has got His own club’s show that He is saving you for!

Listen:- “………... In the shadow of His hand He has hidden Me, And made Me a polished shaft; In His quiver He has hidden Me.” Isaiah 49:2b

Pray:- Lord. Help me to make good use of Your ‘quiver time’. Amen


No comments: