Monday, June 18, 2012

Jun | 18 | Falayta

Key Word:- PATIENCE

Title:- Falayta

1 Timothy 6:6,7 Now godliness with contentment is great gain. For we brought nothing into this world, and it is certain we can carry nothing out.

Having spent many years providing excellent customer service (well I thought so!) I get particularly annoyed when I don’t receive it. I must say that nowadays, with the thorough implementation of those most inhuman button pressing or voice activated telephone systems, ‘service’ is a million times worse for the customer.

• “Please type in your 27 digit ID number.
• Press 1 if you want to rage;
• Press 2 if you want to throw stones at the managing director;
• Press 3 if you’d like to let his tires down;
• Press 4 if you….”


Well you get the picture.

Then when you finally get through to a human being, it’s obvious that it's just some spotty young bloke who still thinks he’s speaking to one of his mates and his attitude and lack of people skills, indicate he’s probably only just come into puberty! You may want to speak to a manager, but this is the best it’s going to get! So it’s “Speak to me”, the pimply prebusecent from paddooka or “Yeah, whadooyuowan" from me, the embittered dominatrix from Alabama, or “goodness gracious me, how can I be helping you today”, from the part-time belly dancer in Bangalore! Yes sir, customer service has gone global in its pathetic performance!

Oh yes, customer service has gone international and we are invisibly catered for by good folks from a different culture, country, socio-economic planet and time zone! Oh but don’t worry, ‘they will contact you within three billing cycles’ if you’re lucky. Customer service? Bah humbug! It’s outrageous and what’s worse is that we, the badly served customers, can do nothing about it!

Now my rising blood pressure over these incidents sometimes get cooled with the outward anowledgement that though it is awful service, it is never the less out of my control and I can do nothing about it. So, it’s profitable for me to examine my trading self and ask why I get so frustrated? I mean, why do I allow myself such a terrible response to such terrible but uncontrollable service? The bad service is out of my control, but my response to said bad service, is totally in my control. Oh you see what I mean?

My conclusion to my personal examination, is that my wanting to eat my headphones is partly my need for excellent customer service not being met but mostly, it’s because I am part of the ‘now generation.’ You see, I want an answer, a solution, a replacement and I want it NOW!

Columnist Craig Wilson in 'USA Today', speaks of knowing that “quintessential old lady from the depression era, who hoarded all the ‘sweet and low’ that she harvested from every restaurant she went into. It was the same old lady who at the end of every meal out, would pour the remaining bread rolls into her handbag. They were for later. Maybe for breakfast or for lunch or even for dinner. It didn’t matter when they were eaten you know because after all they were ‘falayta rolls’.” There was no waste, there was no rush with this old lady.

Once I lived next door to an old Polish man that had spent years in a Nazi concentration camp. His back yard was full to overflowing with what everyone, bar him, considered rubbish. Indeed, that’s where he got it from. His daily trip to the rubbish dump! Previous and unimaginable desperate want, had led him to value rubbish. So much so, that he couldn’t see anything wasted, I mean anything! He was like the old lady with the ‘Falayta rolls’ who perpetually planned for the future, because she remembered the want of the past.

Here it is: 'In our consumer, "Gi’me and gi’me it now" society there is a lesson here for us in these old and sometimes injured folk. Maybe even some wisdom? You can’t always get what you want, right now! But, if you prepare, plan, save and sow, if you learn the rule of reaping, whilst examining anthills, then maybe patience will become your friend and success will become your reward? Ah patience! Yes, it's certainly worth the trying and let's face it, it sure beats getting ulcers!'

Listen:- Let your conduct be without covetousness; be content with such things as you have. For He Himself has said, “I will never leave you nor forsake you.” Hebrews 13:5

Go to the ant , you sluggard! Consider her ways and be wise, Which, having no captain, Overseer or ruler, Provides her supplies in the summer, And gathers her food in the harvest. How long will you slumber, O sluggard? When will you rise from your sleep? A little sleep, a little slumber, A little folding of the hands to sleep --So shall your poverty come on you like a prowler, And your need like an armed man. Prov 6:6-11 NKJV

Pray:- Naked I came into this world, and naked I shall leave it. All that is necessary for my life and service for You O Lord, You have abundantly provided. In light of these things O my God, teach me then, extravagant sensibleness, dogged preparation and quiet and patient expectancy. In Jesus name I pray, amen.



No comments: