Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Jun | 19 | Jam Tomorrow

Key Word:- VICTORY

Title:- Jam Tomorrow

Matthew 6:19,20 “Do not lay up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy and where thieves break in and steal; but lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust destroys and where thieves do not break in and steal.

Whilst having coffee with a friend who managed his own portfolio, I was fascinated to find out the vital need for attentive care, the spreading of risk and the daily monitoring of rise and falls in the market. One of his comments really struck me though when he remarked, “Investments have a fixed and certain return, but all of this stock market ‘stuff’ is speculation, there’s nothing certain about it at all.” He’s right of course.

Thomas Friedman (Foreign Affairs correspondent for the New York Times) in his amazing book on Globalization ‘The Lexus and the Olive Tree’ makes the same point consistently. When what happens in Taiwanese markets can the next day disastrously affect jobs in the U.S.A, this speculative and interconnected market becomes a serious taskmaster to be either mastered or bowed down to afresh, each and every day! Speculation is like that, go to any gamblers anonymous meeting and ask them. Nothing is certain in the speculative world. Absolutely Nothing!

Many years ago as a young Christian in the Royal Navy, I was always defending charges that “Christianity has no relevance in the real world, it’s all ‘Jam tomorrow’, it’s a just ‘a crutch’ for sick people.” My answer to Christ being a crutch was simple, “Jesus is more than a crutch for me, He is a wheelchair! I can have nothing without Him. Absolutely nothing!” It’s still true today of course.

To answer this charge of ‘Jam tomorrow’, you know, ‘Pie in the sky by and by’, I could and would point to a multitude of historic and present precedents in the miraculously changed lives and directions of peoples and even nations who have turned to Christ. Today however, rather than getting into verbal conflict, I just let it lie. “‘Pie in the sky?’” I reply, “‘Jam tomorrow?You bet yah baby! For all we see now is passing away and therefore everything, to some extent, is but a temporary impostor on the eternal stage and yes indeed then, concerning much of Christianity, it is most certainly and most absolutely, ‘Jam tomorrow!’”

I am increasingly becoming futuristic in my outlook. By faith, I have ceased to speculate but rather, for the first time maybe, I am investing in CERTAIN futures. How about you today dear freind? How about you? Do you fancy some Jam tomorrow?

Listen:- For where your treasure is, there your heart will be also. Matthew 6:21

Pray:- 'Dust and air' O Lord, just 'Dust and air' and be it all ever so wonderful, it is passing away, just passing away. My Lord Jesus teach me today the true worth of Your heaven, the value of Your treasure and the timeless nature of Your reward. Keep me from trinkets I pray today. Amen.


No comments: